What are sugary drinks?
Sugar-sweetened beverages (SSB) are drinks (carbonated or not) that contain added sugar, such as:
- Pop or soft drinks
- Fruit drinks (e.g. ‘punches’, ‘cocktails’ or ‘-ades’)
- Energy drinks
- Sports drinks
- Flavoured or vitamin-enhanced waters
- Flavoured milks (e.g., chocolate, strawberry, milkshakes)
- Sweetened plant based beverages (e.g., almond, rice or soy)
- Specialty teas and coffees
- Hot chocolate
- Sweetened smoothies
100% fruit juice is also high in sugar. Juice is not a necessary part of anyone’s diet. Limit juice serving size to 125mL or ½ cup of juice or less per day. Choose whole vegetables and fruit more often than juice.
For more information, see Sugar Facts.